Last year I had a ball sharing my spin on honey cakes with others. After churning out several loaves the last round, this year I attempted once again to recreate a classic honey-cake recipe. I found the recipe in a newspaper clipping from 1986, and just added the whiskey to the icing (as I often do) to spice up the cake's flavors and highlight the honey in the best of ways.
I was disappointed however that my icing didn't turn out as planned. My hand-held mixer mysteriously vanished and I was forced to use a hand whisk, thus not yielding the smooth texture I hoped for.
What makes this cake unique is it's moist texture, and rich density. Over the years when I thought of honey cake I always remembered biting into something crumbly that only adults preferred - Both this year and last year I had a great time updating the old!
1 3/4 cups whipped honey (or regular)
2/3 cups butter/margarine
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups ice water
8 ounces whipped cream cheese
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp whipped honey
1 1/4 c confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup whiskey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. preheat oven to 350° degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 rectangular pan, or an 8 x 9 round pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the honey and butter. Add eggs and mix well till fully combine.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. In a small bowl place unsweetened cocoa and the 1/4 cup of water. Whisk to combine. Add the honey- margarine mixture and fully combine.
5. Add flour alternating with ice water to the honey mixture until fully combined.
6. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. *Don't open the oven while cake is baking. This will ruin the rising process.
7. Once cake has completely cooled, begin making icing. In a mixing bowl, with an electric beater, whisk together cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, and whipped honey. Add whiskey and vanilla extract and combine mixture well.
8. Drizzle icing over cake before eating.